Friday, August 3, 2012

Jamie: A Brief Character Sketch

Jamie is my female character in "After the Twelfth Night" and it's untitled sequel. I just realized that I really don't have many female characters... Just Jamie and a few minor characters (like Cressida and Talia!)
Her family includes one brother, aforementioned Matthias, and her father Dogberry (from Shakespeare's "Much Ado About Nothing"). She has two honorary brothers in Verges (also from "Much Ado About Nothing") and William (my own character who is very paranoid). Jamie's mother died of illness when Jamie was only a month old.
Jamie is very caring and sweet but is not afraid to speak her mind and is always eager to join an adventure.
Her usual garb is a plain brown dress and brown slippers (not pajama type slippers, the ones like Jasmine from Alladin wears).
Jamie has fiery and wild red hair with bright amber eyes. She looks kind of like Karen Gillan with David Tennant's eyes and Merida's (from Disney/Pixar's Brave) hair.
Actually, Merida from Brave has inspired a lot of Jamie's looks (although to be fair to Jamie, I came up with her looks before I even knew that Brave existed).

An excerpt from The Sequel which I literally just wrote and will probably scrap later:

Jamie had a shimmery pale green dress with blue puffy sleeves and a blue panel in the skirt made for her during the night and day that they stayed in the town. A plain dark blue dress with gold rings on the sleeves was also purchased and a dark green cloak went with it. The final new dress was bright red to match Jamie’s hair. It had a green and red brocade patterned panel on the front. The sleeves were also made of that material, although they poofed red velvet at the shoulders. Red velvet also hung down from the hips in rolls.
The pale green dress was inspired by one that I wore as Beatrice last year in Much Ado About Nothing. Here is the dress:


The second dark blue dress was inspired by, you guessed it, Merida from Brave (I haven't even seen the movie people!):


The final red dress was one that I found on Google images when I typed in "red dress Shakespeare." This picture goes to it's rightful owner... I hope that they don't mind I stole it's description for my story.


So there is Jamie in a nutshell... The only person I didn't mention was Antony who is her best friend and fiance (don't worry, she's a lot older than 16 now.... Although people did get married a lot younger in Shakespeare's day!).

I hope you enjoyed. =)

3 comments:

  1. Another lover of Shakespeare. :D And I've seen Brave - drowned in a borrowed Scottish accent for the rest of the weekend - and loved every minute. Not quite what I'd expected, but good.

    Love the attention to detail on your character sketch!

    Also, thank you for the very kind comments on Adam Heine's blog a few weeks ago! Sorry it took me so long to respond. *__*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like her already. I love the dress ideas. Dresses like that are lots of fun I think.

    Glad I'm not the only one yet to see Brave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOOT! Shakespeare and Brave FTW! *coughs nervously* anyhoo, awesome stuff!

    ReplyDelete