Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Merry Christmas, Inklings!

Hey, everyone!  It's nice to show my face once more.  My last day of finals is tomorrow, and I am very happy about Christmas break coming up!  Thus I am taking a pre-break break and posting this for you all.
Here are a couple of snippets from my latest venture, The Dragon Bstirvm.


Usually I sat in the corner of the smithy and watched Father work as I sewed or knitted.  There was always a good deal of sewing and knitting to be done, and as I was not particularly adventurous, I felt that there was no need to go out and roam the city streets with my other brothers and sisters. 
Father always said that I was a shadow, a slight thing that nobody noticed.  He did not particularly favor me above the other children, nor did he ever seem to notice that I spent hours in the corner of the dark, low room where he worked.
In fact, I was fascinated by fire.  It almost hypnotized me.  Never could I see a flame but it drew me to itself, beckoned me with its lurid flicker, and grasped at my mind with glowing fingers.  The smithy fire altered the whole dark cellar, turning it into some pit of enchantment from which I could hardly bear to tear myself.
~ The Dragon Bstirvm

I should probably add that this book is told from the perspective of Majay Mistrocoli, who lives in the royal city of Rusa.

My king’s name was King Edwin XIII.  I know not why that name survived for thirteen generations.  I would have extinguished it long ere the first.  Yet that was his name, and, let us be frank, he was rather mediocre as kings go.  I am not fond of speaking so of my leader, but the truth is the truth.  King Edwin was quite a disappointment, especially since his father had been a wise and generous king, beloved by all of his people for his benevolence and understanding.  King Edwin was not particularly cruel, as kings go, and Charantè had certainly seen baser monarchs in the course of its long existence, but he did make many foolish decisions.  For instance, he always tried to please everybody. 
~ The Dragon Bstirvm

I reached the tavern and had to step over a man slumbering in the doorway, the smell of strong ale emanating from his damp garments in a thick, choking reek.  I pressed my hand over my mouth and clutched the spits tightly under my other arm.  The sights and sounds from inside the tavern oppressed my senses.  A raucous song reverberated from the low ceiling, and men laughed and jostled each other as they swayed drunkenly to the music.  I wished that my older brothers were still living at home so that I would not have had to come to this place.  It was rather unfortunate that every last one of them was wed.
            The proprietor of the tavern leaned over the counter and leered at me.  I saw not a greasy, doughy man but an ogre preparing to leap among the rioters and devour them up.  Trembling, I held out the spits to him.
            “Mistrocoli made these for you as ordered,” I said.
            The man did not snarl at me as I half-expected him to do.  Instead he waddled out from behind the counter and took the spits from me.
~ The Dragon Bstirvm

Thanks for reading and God bless,

Kathryn



2 comments:

  1. Oh, I enjoyed these! I think I will end up liking your main character. She, she correct?, seems believable. Not the typical heroine who dashes about with a sword and stabs everyone who crosses her path, but a bit fearful who is doing what must be done in spite of her fear.

    Jack and her sardine, Nemo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjjoyed those! Especially the first one. Anyone who is drawn to fire is bound to be a cool character like Dustfinger from Inkheart.

    ReplyDelete