Thursday, May 10, 2012

A Dilemma

I am in a bit of a bind.... I'm editing my NaNoWriMo novel and I can't decide whether to make up an animal or not.
Let me explain....
My novel is the sequel to another novel which is based off of Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night." Basically, this novel is also based off of Twelfth Night.
It's set in 1602 and the characters have gone on a sea journey to find a hidden treasure. They arrive at an island and while they are waiting to go on shore, one of my characters (who loves to study plants and animals in his spare time) is observing the island from the ship. He spots an animal that no one has ever seen before but the others think he's joking and tease him about it.
My dilemma is whether to make up an animal or not. Since I'm not naming which island it is, and since this particular creature can only be found on this island, I don't see that it would be a problem to make up an animal.
What do you guys think?
The animal would look similar to an anteater. It would be a bit bigger, and black and white.
My dad says, "A tapir!"

(which looks like this)


It won't look exactly like a tapir.... It will be different. I haven't decided exactly what it will look like.

Do you think I should use it or pick an animal that already exists?

Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. hmm.. I'd say, stick with the Tapir. It wasn't as widely known back then, so it would seem like as much of an oddity as manatees were to sailors.

    ReplyDelete